Friday, February 25, 2005

The Onion: "I Support the Occupation, Not Our Troops"

Pretty lame issue of The Onion this week, except for this little gem of an editorial entitled "I Support the Occupation of Iraq, But I Don't Support Our Troops". The best line:

Need I remind the reader that it is our flag, not the troops, that we salute? It is our nation-state, not a bunch of 20-year-olds in parachute pants, that deserves our allegiance. As a patriot and true American, my heart sings at the thought of the Pentagon, and the zealous, calculating measures undertaken by the proud military bureaucracy of this great superpower. I feel a surge of pride when I think about our high-tech GBU laser-guided bombs, capable of carrying a 2,000-pound warhead. I tied a ribbon around my tree for the safe return of our nation's F-16s, because our military aircraft are instrumental to finishing our work in Iraq.

Hilarious. He goes on to say that the troops themselves are "no more worthy of our consideration than a box of nails."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home